What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry helps you relax by using methods and medications to relieve your anxiety and take away dental sensitivity.
Sedation dentistry gives you the freedom to receive any needed dental care without fear. You can get the services you need for beautiful, healthy teeth and gums—while avoiding nasty surprises like cavities.
If you’re ready to take control of your dental health but have dental anxiety, then this blog is for you.
You’ll find out:
- What sedation options are available to you
- Why they are safe
- How to take the next step towards better health
What types of sedation are available?
You may not have known there are multiple types of sedation available.
Our professional periodontists in Bellevue or Issaquah will help you choose between them quickly and easily. They include:
- Laughing gas (mild): If you only need a small amount of help to get through an appointment, we might recommend laughing gas. It’ll make you feel relaxed and at peace. It’s been used for more than 100 years and will quickly leave your body within a few minutes after your appointment.
- Oral sedation (moderate): If your anxiety or sensitivity is more intense, you may benefit from oral sedation, which is as easy as swallowing a prescription pill. This will give you a sense of profound calm, relaxation, and freedom from anxiety. You might even forget what happened at the dentist. But you’ll need a ride home afterwards.
- IV sedation (deep): For severe anxiety or sensitivity, IV sedation provides the deepest relief. You’ll feel almost asleep and could forget the procedure afterwards. You’ll definitely need a ride after your procedure.
Do you feel pain when sedated? No. One of our specialties is providing comfort for all patients.
If your teeth or gums have felt especially sensitive in the past, let us know. We’ll recommend the sedation type and other techniques that’ll prevent pain during your visit.
Is sedation dentistry safe?
This is a legitimate concern. Can you “go under” sedation and stay safe?
Absolutely. Sedation dentistry is safe.
You should only be sedated by qualified and experienced dentists.
We analyze your medical history to ensure that any sedation medication used is compatible with your medical conditions, age, prescriptions, and more.
And we ONLY use sedation methods that have been tested for many years and approved by the FDA. Ask us about any medications or methods beforehand, and we’ll be happy to discuss them.
During your appointment, we’ll monitor your vital signs, such as heart rate and blood pressure, to ensure you’re doing well. This is both for your safety and your comfort.
When choosing a sedation dentist, you want to make sure they follow protocol that always puts your health and safety first (similar to our approach).
Looking for sedation dentistry in the Greater Seattle area?
We’re here to help you achieve excellent oral health in a comfortable setting.
No matter what type of periodontal services you have, you can add sedation to it.
If you’re wondering how much sedation dentistry costs, unfortunately, the actual price of each service varies.
It depends on your insurance coverage and other factors.
That means we can’t give you a standard price in a blog post, but we can give you an exact quote when you set up an appointment.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Or contact us by: