Meet Dr. Stephan Kohnen
Dr. Stephan Kohnen
Your third-generation dentist serving Bellevue and Issaquah, WA.
Who is Dr. Kohnen?
Dr. Stephan Kohnen joined Implants & Periodontic Specialists recently, relocating from Houston, TX. He is uniquely qualified as he has an oral surgery background and is also a specialist in periodontics.
Coming from a family of dentists, Dr. Kohnen has been practicing exceptional dentistry for over 23 years and placing over 10,000 dental implants.
He graduated from Tufts University in 1997 with his specialty degree in Periodontics – being selected as one of the few international students to attend the three-year postdoctoral program in Periodontics and Implantology. Tufts University is known for giving its students the best education in the field of periodontal and implant dentistry.
Delivering care from Europe to the Pacific Northwest.
Born and raised in Germany, Dr. Kohnen received his dental and oral surgery degree from the University of Müenster, School of Dental Medicine in 1991. Continuing with family traditions, he became the third generation dentist in his parents’ family practice in North Germany.
After practicing in private practice in Munich as one of the first periodontists in Europe, Dr. Kohnen was recruited to lead the Surgical Department of the renowned dental and implant center, the CDC Kliniek, located in the Netherlands.
Dr. Kohnen’s dream has always been to return to America, and this came through when he received his green card through the Lottery Process. He started his journey in Houston in 2014 and then moved to the Pacific Northwest to join our team. We’re thrilled to have him to deliver high-quality dental care.
Credentials and Experience
- DMD Degree – The University of Müenster Opens in a new window to The University of Müenster’s website, School of Dental Medicine
- Received specialty degree – Tufts University in Boston, MA Opens in a new window to Tufts University’s website
- Graduated at the top of his class
- Lead the Surgical Department at the CDC Kliniek, located in the Netherlands
- Completed over 1,000 “All-on-4” type reconstructions
- One of the first periodontists in Europe to place over 10,000 implants
- Introduced All-on-4 procedures to the Netherlands
Does laser periodontal therapy with the LANAP laser
- Born and raised in Germany
- Is a third-generation dentist, both of his parents are dentists in Germany
- Married to his wife Ines with two beautiful children: Caitlin and Alexander
- Immediately fell in love with the PNW especially because the climate is similar to Germany
I drive 2 hours one way to see these providers for they are excellent and provide comprehensive care that is based in the literature. Thank you!
Diana L. (Actual Patient)
Have Some Questions for Dr. Stephan Kohnen?
What do you like to do outside the office?
“My wife, Ines, and I love to spend time with our two children, Caitlin (who is 13) and Alexandar (who is 18). We love playing with our dog and spending time in the fresh air of the Pacific Northwest.”
Why did you move to the PNW from Texas?
“While I originally set up my practice in Texas. After a few years, my wife and I realized the harsh and unpredictable weather of Texas wasn’t for us. We visited the PNW and fell in love with the area – how could you not? The opportunity to work alongside Dr. Neal Raval and the outdoors of the PNW was not something we could pass on. The climate in this area is also very similar to where I grew up in Germany.”